Day 2 at the HRPA 2012 Conference started out in AWESOME fashion. Despite the 7:00 a.m. start time, the room was packed to hear Neil Pasricha talk about The Search for AWESOME Leadership. Neil shared his story of success.
His story started out not so well. One year his best friend committed suicide and his marriage fell apart. Neil was feeling pretty low. He was in a dark place. But he got the idea to start a blog looking for 1000 AWESOME things in life, to help him get out of his funk. He started blogging every day. At first only his mom read his blog, then his dad, then friends, and it grew from there. The number of readers multiplied and he got a call from someone in New York telling him he had won an award for his blog! He travelled to New York to pick up his award, and when he got home he had phone calls from several literacy agents who were interested in a potential book. Three books (and a calendar product and mobile app) later Neil is still blogging about AWESOME. Success happens in the strangest ways. Neil shared his concepts and philosophy with us and it was an AWESOME way to start Day 2 of the HRPA 2012 Conference!
The 4 A’s required to create AWESOME leadership for an AWESOME workplace include:
- Attitude – AWESOME starts with attitude. If you have an attitude of AWESOME it will spread beyond you.
- Awareness - If you are on the look out for AWESOME you will find it. It is the little things that often illicit the biggest response.
- Alignment - Know your own (and the organizations) core values / priniciples. Alignment gets people in sync with you as a leader, and the organization.
- Authenticity - Spread AWESOME and positivity but be true to your self. Be genuine. People won’t respond if you aren’t your authentic self.
In addition to AWESOME leadership to create an AWESOME workplace, organizations need to embrace the 4 S’s:
- Social - Create a sense of community at work which provides a sense of belonging.
- Structure - Have some structure in place (but not rigid policing or monitoring structure).
- Stimulation - Provide stimulating work.
- Salary - Give a salary good enough to make it a non-issue.
We can all bring AWESOME into this world and into our workplace by living in the present, looking forward to the future, and not dwelling on past wrongs or slights. My philosophy of AWESOME is to always look for the good in people. No one wakes up in the morning and says, “I’m going to work to be miserable and do a bad job.” People want to succeed and be AWESOME.
As HR professionals, managers, and leaders, what are you doing to make the workplace happy, healthy, and productive and downright AWESOME? As an individual, what are you going to do today to be AWESOME at work and at life? Perhaps the tips provided by Neil Pasricha outlined here will help you get started. If you need more help, contact us. AWESOME leadership can be learned!
Posted by Joanne Royce